Cheap Thermometers

pantherguy30

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why my corals kept bleaching out and dieing! My water parameters were always in the correct zones. I even built a new hood to locate my 250 de buld 12" off the water. Still kept killing frags! I visited a lfs with a water sample to see if it was an error in my test kits. Everything was fine except they he stated the water seemed warm to him.

It was a hot day so I payed little attention to it.But when I got home I decied to play with my heater dial. It wouldnt come on untill 86 plus degrees. I had been useing a little zoo med digital thermometer. I went out and purchased a glass float thermometer and sure enough my water temp was around 85. but my digital thermometer was reading 78! After all this time I had been allowing my tank to run at extreme high temps and never could figure it out. So during our hot streak my tank got well into the 90's. I have no clue how some things were able to survive but I have lost a huge collection of frags i've gathered over the past year.

I have added a couple fans to the sump and hood and that has kept my temp issue under controll. So the good news is that I am in the market for lots of new frags. The bad news is I'm a dumb%@# for not catching this a long time ago!! (scratch)

I was still in disbelief after throwing in the glass thermometer that I went into my homebrewing stash. Grabed a huge glass thermometer and threw that into the tank and it had the exact same readout as the little 1 did. So I had 2 thermometers and my dial on the titanium heater all telling me that my water was around 85 degrees. I would like to know if anyone could recomend a good digital thermometer that gives more acurate readouts.