Single pump?

Saltfinsax

I am sure some of you have tryed this and I need your thoughts on this, if it even would work.

I would like to put a couple 1" T's on the riser from my ext. pump and run a line to my skimmer and then a line to my media reactor.

Ext. pump is Blueline 30HD-X (1100gph after head loss calc about 500gph)

Skimmer is a Berlin HO 25-250 with a Rio 2100 pump on it now

Media Reactor is a AquaC XPplus

Would I get the flow I needed for the skimmer?

Would I lose to much for my Return?

Am I a dork for even trying this?(nutty)

post-5849-141867778139_thumb.jpg

post-5849-141867778143_thumb.jpg

I use my return pump to feed my skimmer, but my skimmer is a recirculating variety. I have used my drain to feed a skimmer in the past, same with using the drain to feed a cannister filter to a UV.

Being creative is fun, but IME< watch it for a few hours to avoid water on the floor.

JME

If it is only 500 GPH then I think you might lose too much for the return. I think I would run the skimmer off the return with a valve to run about 100-200 GPH through the skimmer. Then use the drain for the media reactor. I would say use thr drain for both but it is hard to get any consistency for the skimmer on the drain.

The skimmer kinda has me thinking, How much flow should there be through a skimmer. Right now I have a Rio 2100 on it so that about 600 gph, according to pump spec. I find it hard that there is that much flow through there. And I hate to think that my Blueline 30 HD-x is reduced down to half with my fittings and head.

So whats the best amount of flow you should have going through a skimmer?