what to feed a 2'' maxima clam?

finch6013

I think that Maximas like to be on a rock and up higher. But your lights should be enough...

Now I remember why I don't use MH lights... The heat issue. I really like my T5 fixture... :) Also having the tank in the basement really helps with the temperature issue. I need to have my heater on even in the summer.

Have you considered running your lights at night? That should help out a bit. Also put some water in 2 liter bottles and freeze them. Float the bottles in the tank to help cool it. 20 oz water bottles also work, but don't last as long. A 2 L bottle should last several hours.

dsoz

dsoz

well the lights are shut off for the night cuz my stinkin halides run so hot I cant keep them on. I have 4 fans blowing tons of air and still running like 85 degrees. So pics eventually. I hasn't opened much since I got it home.

Are you running the fans in a flow direction or are they all doing the same thing(all inward or all outward)? I am running dual 400W halides with 4 vho's over a standard 75g and my temps rarely get that high ever. I only have 2 fans in my hood but they flow through so it helps get the hot air out... I run mine for about 7 to 8 hours and vho's go for around 12 hours FYI...

maybe I need to change the fans up a bit. There is two small fans, one in each end that go in a flow direction and then two that just blow on the water that are on the back of the tank. the back fans do the most and they are 4in personal house fans so trying to make these work together would not work. Where is a good place to begin for fans?

maybe I need to change the fans up a bit. There is two small fans' date=' one in each end that go in a flow direction and then two that just blow on the water that are on the back of the tank. the back fans do the most and they are 4in personal house fans so trying to make these work together would not work. Where is a good place to begin for fans?[/quote']

Mine are just basic computer style fans 120mm mounted on the sides of my hood. they both blow in the same direction to move the air uniformly through the hood instead of just stirring it around in there.

Are the extra fans directed at the water or across the water. Direct them so the air runs across the water to get the most cooling effect. If your fan shopping Lowe's sells a squirrel cage fan for around $48 that is what Patrick over at SWF uses on his tanks. He swears by them.

I have two small squirrel cage ones at the moment there just isn't really any room in my hood for them. I have the DIY lumenark reflectors and they take up all the space. I might need to switch so something smaller like a normal parabolic curved reflector. BOO

Can you cut your reflectors down a couple of inches each to give more room for fans? Are they in a hood? If they are, drill some holes in the hood to allow more air circulation.

Nyles just posted a chiller for sale for $200. That is a fairly good deal.

Was that the light blue one on the top of the clam tank? I was eyeing that one. They do have different color viewed from the top or from the side. Did you look at it through the glass of the tank or just from the top? It is a nice looking clam either way.

dsoz

it was on the bottom. It looked alot like the one you are talking about that was on top.

I resituated my fans some and so far the lights have been on for 4 hours and only about a 2 degree temp rise. I might just have to watch the room temp a little more. It was hot in our apartment yesterday and AC was not on.

My wife loved the infinity edge clam tank, as did I. Makes for a good excuse to get another clam

You can also cut some holes in the top. Hot air rises. Best way to get rid of heat is to let it go where it naturally wants to go... UP!

If your tank starts getting too hot again, call me and I'll let you bring some of your stuff over and put it in my tanks to hold. Also try the bottle ice trick. It is how I kept my tank cool when I was in college and lived in Ashland. A couple of bottles in the morning, a couple more in the afternoon and one overnight. There were times when it was over 100* outside that I could not keep up with re-freezing the bottles. I had to keep a couple extra just to stay ahead of the heat.

dsoz

dsoz

ok. I think some of my heat issues were my thermometer. I went and got a coralife digital because the analog I have is as old as I am (20) and the water just didn't feel as warm as it said it was, so i was skeptical. Added the digital and poof my tank droped about 3 degrees and rather than being more than 80 its now 77.2 so last night it probably only got to 82 which is warm but managable from what I understand.

Thanks for the offer Dennis. Good to know I have some storage space just down the road :) (laugh)

Gotta run the AC....once the rooms gets in the 80's...the warm air cannot cool off the water....basically the water is only gonna get as kool as the ambient temp in the room.

I set my AC to 69-70.....

My tank only get to about 80 with a clip on fan blowing in the canopy(open back) with dual 400watt radiums and 2 110 watt vho's(1000watts of heat)

And about the clam...

I would put it up high gradually.... I had a 2" clam about 12" below the 400watter and never had to feed it....

Just cleaning your glass weekly...that should give it some supplemental food :)