Killing Rock

You could set up a pot of boiling water and dip each piece for a couple 15-20 seconds to kill off everything on the surface, not the inside's, good bacteria in there. Then into a seperat tank or quarantine tank to cure it for a couple weeks. No need to destroy the whole rock just to get a couple hitchikers off.

Wrap it in a plastic garbage bag and put it in the freezer for a few days for each piece. The anemones will die, but the bacteria will still be OK on the inside. Then let it cure and cycle in a separate tank. I don't know if this will take care of the algae or not.

If you want to get drastic, set up a tub outside full of water and pour some bleach in it. A day or so in there will steralize your rock. Nothing like fresh bleach to ruin the day of a mojano or hair algae.

Then let it dry off and wash it with a hose. Let it dry again and then it is ready to cycle in fresh salt water.

dsoz

So' date=' I really dont care about the bacteria, that is not my main concern. I think I will go ahead and bleach it with a light bleach solution and then rinse and it will be base rock again. The other rock and other tank can seed it.[/quote']

Wont the bleach get into the rock and be hard to remove? Without lots of water changes and lots of current?

Jay

Curtis- stay away from the acid. You are in Utah now. Do you know what it is like to do acid in Utah? You could be locked up for a longgggg time there. :)

Ya, let it dry when it is done soaking. If it does not seem to be working after a day, add some more bleach. If there is a lot of organic on the rock it will take a bunch of bleach to kill/dissolve it all.

That large piece sounds wonderful. How big of a tank did it come out of?

dsoz