What to do with my tank?

pledosophy

So I have been a seahorse guy for the last 8+ years. It's been fun, but I might be over it. I setup a reef a couple years ago and really enjoy it. Last week I lost my last seahorse so here I have this awesome planted tank with no fish in it.

Any ideas what to do with it? I do want to keep it as a planted setup. Have been thinking about leaf fish or something along those line. Have also been thinking of a lion fish species (Dendrochirus barberi).

Maybe pipefish, or perhaps maybe just a different species of seahorse. . .

What to do with the empty tank . . . ? ? ?

well you could get a penguin if you wanna be unique.....lol. I don't know. Planted....hmm....I do like the seahorse thing, but I can understand change. A Lionfish may be pretty cool too. Hmm......I dunno. You could of course give it to Benny(whistle)

I got something for Benny but it's not a tank ;)

If you want to talk horses, I know . . . well more then most.

Some of the lionfish are cool. The Dendrochirus zebra and the Dendrochirus barberi are pretty dope. There are a few different puffers that might be worth moving the corals out depending on how they would do with the macro's. THen there are the leaf fish. Maybe a combination.

Then there is the nagging fact I have had a seahorse/seahorses for the last 8 years. Maybe pipefish would be a cool change. The dragon faced are nice as are the alligators. For seahorse species, if they are in captivity I can get them with the exception of the zebra's, so there are some cool options there. . . ? ? ? ? I have always wanted to breed comes or hybrid comes and barbouri.

Hmmmmmm.

there's so much to learn about the horses and it seems like the more you read about them, the less you know. very confusing. Mine seem to be doing well in the zoa tank though. They are using my wife's zoas as hitching posts though and they are having a real good time with the copepods. I walked in to look at the tank this afternoon and paniced because I thought one of the little guys had his snout stuck in a hole but he got it out with ease. Probably nailing a copepod

there's so much to learn about the horses and it seems like the more you read about them' date=' the less you know. very confusing. Mine seem to be doing well in the zoa tank though. They are using my wife's zoas as hitching posts though and they are having a real good time with the copepods. I walked in to look at the tank this afternoon and paniced because I thought one of the little guys had his snout stuck in a hole but he got it out with ease. Probably nailing a copepod[/quote']

I have worked with seahorse.org since 04'. Been keeping seahorses since 01'. Basically keep the temp at 73F or below, have the highest flow possible but break it up so it is gentle, and feed every day (PE Mysis). Not hard, just different.

When I got into seahorses in 01 it was a scienific fact they could not be bred in a home aquarium and only lived a year and a half at best. We've come along way.

Kevin you been giving me too much.

See your Dr. and get some antibiotics ;)

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

(clap)(laugh)(laugh)roflroflrofl that was priceless. Sorry Benny, but you have to admit that was pretty freaking funny.

Pledo, I just saw a show with pipe fish and I have to say, those are pretty sweet. Might be a nice chance while keeping with what you know.

I did not know they had to be kept so cold. That requires a chiller or a big air conditioner in yer house. Really....73 or less? I have been contemplating seahorses but not if you have to keep it that cool.

Jay

I have worked with seahorse.org since 04'. Been keeping seahorses since 01'. Basically keep the temp at 73F or below, have the highest flow possible but break it up so it is gentle, and feed every day (PE Mysis). Not hard, just different.

When I got into seahorses in 01 it was a scienific fact they could not be bred in a home aquarium and only lived a year and a half at best. We've come along way.

See your Dr. and get some antibiotics ;)

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

I did not know they had to be kept so cold. That requires a chiller or a big air conditioner in yer house. Really....73 or less? I have been contemplating seahorses but not if you have to keep it that cool.

Jay

I would say tropical species should be kept between 68-74F. I set my heater at 68F. If I have the ice probe set to come on at 73F. I use a clip on fan for most of my cooling. It's pretty easy to keep the tank temp low without any help 90% of the time up here.

According to the ORA website the Seahorses they sell can be at higher temps. I don't know whether it is accurate or not but rather just passing on what I read there.

http://www.orafarm.com/seahorses.html

Are these the ones they are breeding or the ones that are bred in large nets in the ocean and then sold as TR, or CB? (laugh)

In the ocean many species are commonly found at higher temperatures, up to the mid 80's. They don't do so well longterm in the home aquarium at these temperatures IME.

I am of the belief the seahorses can be (and most often are) asymptomatic carriers for various strains of bacteria, but often strains of vibrio. These bacterias growth rate is greatly affected by temperature. At a temperature of 74F the bacteria's growth rate is slowed and it's protein structure actually changes. At higher temperatures the bacteria is much more virtulent and more likely to cause problems IME.

You will see a large rise in seahorse disease in the summer months, when the temps get up a bit.

Putting seahorses in a tank that is 80F should not kill them by itself. But IME it will put them at a higher risk to bacterial infection. Since I have been keeping seahorses there average lifespan has increased by 4 years or so, much of that can be attributed to the lower temperature IMO.

Kudas, reidi and a few others are ok in higher temps

06-23-2009 07:32 AM

I would not keep either of those above 74F. The only exception I have made was for comes. They do better around 76F. At 74F they were very lethargic IME. Where as with kuda and reidi I saw no change in behavior from 68F to 80F. I have kept Reidi as low as 64F to treat disease. I keep all fry in the 60's range as well.

It's just a suggestion, not a criticism. I don't mean to be up on a soap box, I'll step off.

Have you looked into orange spotted filefish? There is a great article about captive breeding them in coral magazine?

They are easy to get easy to sex and hard to keep might be the challenge you are looking for?

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/Orange-Spotted-Filefish_3167_61_4_4.html

Nice to know Randy. I will pick up the magazine. I do know of them and have been following there feeding updates a little bit. I wonder if the CB ones are more likely to accept prepared foods for life.

Thanks.

Hey Pledo, thanks for all the great seahorse info! It is really nice to hear from someone with firsthand experience in this area as my wife has long wanted to get some but I have been holding off for reasons of $$ and, more importantly, trusted info! Just curious, you mentioned lots of flow but evenly distributed... can you give some idea on how you are setup with # of turnovers etc.?

Thanks again!

It's just a suggestion, not a criticism. I don't mean to be up on a soap box, I'll step off.

I feel your post was not soap boxish at all. I would rather gleen info from someone who has has horses for 8 years then read about from other sources. It is really hard for a person new to any reefkeeping to sort out all the information that is out there. My best luck has been listening to someone just as yourself who has been there done that and willing to share.

Hey Pledo, thanks for all the great seahorse info! It is really nice to hear from someone with firsthand experience in this area as my wife has long wanted to get some but I have been holding off for reasons of $$ and, more importantly, trusted info! Just curious, you mentioned lots of flow but evenly distributed... can you give some idea on how you are setup with # of turnovers etc.?

Thanks again!

Glad to help.

My tank is the exception to the flow rule IMO.

When I first started with seahorses the 5x turnover rule of thumb just wasn't enough. So I started playing with stuff and gradually increasing the flow over the last 8 years. My tank was up to the 60x turnover range, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. Truthfully I'm sure there are far better ways of doing it, I just haven't figured them out yet, or read of the people who have.

My tank is a 30g. My sump return is about 300 gph, but I put one of those Penducter things on it so who knows how much that increases it by. I have two koralia nano's, each pointed at specific spots (the sinularia, and the purple gorg). I also have a closed loop that pushes 900 gph into the tank. It returns in the tank by two spraybars that are behind the rocks. I then covered the spraybars with rubble rock. This helps to put a lot of gentle flow through the system, and allow me to keep large piles of rubble rock for pods to breed in without collecting serious detritus.

Even with all of that water moving there are places the seahorses can go to to rest, and there food dish is the largest dead spot so the food does not blow out. I planned very hard to give resting spots for the seahorses, I never really saw the seahorses hang out there though, they kinda like the flow IME, but everyone says you need to have them.

I would stay away from firehose type powerheads or returns, get the style that have a broad base like the koralia nano's or a Seio. The larger koralia's are not seahorse safe. Seio's are with the guards are also safe. As much as I love Maxijets for everything, they are not so good in the tank either. Best is to go through a closed loop so there are no powerheads in the tank, but that is it's own challenge.

IF you decide to go through with it I'd be glad to help out. I've been kinda popular at helping people design there systems for awhile now.

Seahorse.org is a good site to read up on them. My username there is Kevin.

I feel your post was not soap boxish at all. I would rather gleen info from someone who has has horses for 8 years then read about from other sources. It is really hard for a person new to any reefkeeping to sort out all the information that is out there. My best luck has been listening to someone just as yourself who has been there done that and willing to share.

I'm glad I'm not coming off wrong. Sometimes I worry about communicating things on forums. It's harder to read someone's intent without tone of voice and facial expression.

I know of the learning curve. I had a go of it. I didn't find the internet at all until 02'ish and the first years of reefkepping where hard on me. I actually had a LFS tell me seahorses and lionfish were perfect tank mates becuas ethe lionfish fins were great hitches. It was 6 months before I learned about topping off with fresh water, not fresh salt water. I cycled with manderins, same day I bought my tank and liverock. I've done a lot of stupid stuff, so at least I have some ideas of what not to do. I'm sure I'll learn some more along the way.