A journey into ZEOvit...

coralreefer

I have maintained a saltwater tank for 5 1/2 years, mixed reef for 2...

It is truly a loving addiction for me...but the tank I envision seems ever elusive...slow growth, intermittant algae, SPS failures, no polyp extension, lack luster color...

I have studied...I test...I clean...I rest...$$$$$$$$...the best products...the best equipment....water changes...RO-DI...TDS....kalk...Calcium reactor...pumps...powerheads...circulation...additives...no additives...phosban...carbon...read...read some more...on and on.

After finally realizing real change has to take place or I will forever be playing catch-up, I have decided to move forward in a different direction...ZEOvit.

I am sure most of you are more than familiar with this system of reef keeping, plus or minus its cousins (Neo and prodibio).

While there are certainly no guarantees, there is a playbook which has documented winners...

I will attempt to document my journey through ZEOvit for you fellow reefheads, hopefully learning and teaching something along the way.

I am in what I'll term Stage 1 right now, which is prepping my established tank for actual beginning use of ZEOvit system.

Time has limited this first post to this endpoint...I will follow with explanation of ZEOvit and its application to my system...

Until later...DrMerle(rock2)

Knowing absolutely nothing about the more recent developments of Zeovit this may come off wrong, but hasn't that method sort of lost momentum with the development of vodka and sugar dosing with minimal prodibio dosing? Just curious is all, and I AM also excited to watch the development of the tank and system for you, I know that people have demonstrated incredible results with it.

Pics please?

I did some research, and I may be wrong, but the whole course of zeovit seems to include a lot of trace minerals (potassium for one) that seem to be overlooked in most dosing schemes. I am interested in knowing more about the full meal deal with what is involved.

dsoz

It is my desire to make an occasional entry, defining system and goals when possible.

My next few posts will try to explain ZEOvit system..

I have borrowed info off the net so much of the following is not originally my own...

Defining the ZEOvit system...

What Does ZeoVit Do?

Let’s start off with what does the ZeoVit system do. Zeovit is a system that incorporates bacterial sources to help rid a system of excess nutrients. Some have labeled this as one of this first well publicized ultra low nutrient system or ULNS. The idea is to mimic natural seawater (NSW) parameters by reducing the levels of Nitrate and Phosphate without lowering other essential parameters such as Calcium and Magnesium.

The best way that I understand this is a two step process; 1) the system removes excess nutrients such as Nitrate and phosphate through bacteria sources and skimming. 2) Once ULNS has been achieved, you may 'tweak' coral colors through additional Zeovit additives.

Well isn’t that what you are suppose to accomplish in a reef system? Can I do that with a nice high-end skimmer and frequent water changes? Well yes, but there are some nice side benefits to the zeovit system that we will talk about later.

Many think by reading Nitrate and phosphate at ‘undetectable’ on their trident test kit they are running an ULNS, however, very few test kits can measure Nitrate and phosphate at those low levels. Typically, zeovit users use a photometer such as the Hana meter to test for phosphate. The Hana meter digitally reads down to .001. In Zeovit, there are visual identifiers that signify you are past one step and ready to move to the next. Simply adding a food source such as amino acids without running your system through step one will result in just adding more nutrients to your system and the result might not be that good.

One note; Zeovit is not a ‘cookie-cutter’ system, since every system is different and has different needs, the dosage and products of zeovit will vary from one tank to another. Although Zeovit is a very precision system you will get your best results by watching your corals and letting them tell you what is needed. Zeovit uses some basic introductory guidelines to get you started.

Again, one of the biggest draws for me to this system was the "playbook" which has been developed and the wonderful group of "zeoheads" on the zeovit forum, who have used this system for years and are extremely helpful when it comes to problem solving and tweaking.

As for expense...come on people, I've spent MANY thousands of dollars NOT getting the tank I've worked and hoped for. In fact, in the long run I expect this system to cost less. Less unnecessary additives...less problems to treat...fewer gimics to chase. It isn't that I've not had great help. I just need a better roadmap. Many of you I'm sure don't and are more than happy with your tanks.

Happy reefing...DrMerle(plotting)