What got you people into this hobby/business?

prada

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mom always had an aquarium. I started a 26 gallon freshwater tank when I was 8, then at 13 I started my first marine tank with seahorses. Soon I had two more saltwater tanks, one tropical, one coldwater. I used natural seawater sold at the local tropical fish store, and had good success(for 1968). I began working at a local skin diving school during High school, and collected some of my own specimens. I worked for a few wholesale tropical fish suppliers and managed a few petshop fish departments. Years later, I began my first reef tank in 1986, and still have my dreams of running a large solar greenhouse aquaculture operation.

My wife is the culprit here' date=' and she has the nerve to call us "reef nerds"!!. [/quote']

I made the mistake of telling my wife about the comment your wife made. Now I get it all the time, especially when I am on the internet until 3 in the morning.

How is my map coming along Steve?

I made the mistake of telling my wife about the comment your wife made. Now I get it all the time, especially when I am on the internet until 3 in the morning.

How is my map coming along Steve?

Good, I have it marked, then I want to include a google satellite map zoomed in to the areas so I make sure you're in the right place (laugh)

This hobby was recommended to my Grandfather after his first heart attack to help him relax. He started breeding Angel fish in the 50's. He had 13 or so heart attacks after he started the hobby. I blame the hobby.

It had to be the hobby, butter is so healthy.

there is nothing relaxing about waking up at every little sound through out the night or walking down the stairs in the morning to hear your return pump grinding and about an inch of water in your display tank with a huge crack in the back of it, or waking up in the morning to find that it looks like someone has dumped a whole bottle of detergent in your tank, all of your fish dead and a cucumber in a powerhead.

This hobby was recommended to my Grandfather after his first heart attack to help him relax. He started breeding Angel fish in the 50's. He had 13 or so heart attacks after he started the hobby. I blame the hobby.

It had to be the hobby, butter is so healthy.

Butter wrapped in bacon is one of my all time favorites. Its good for you isnt it?

I like the hobby because I can waste as much money as I need. And if the tank is in the right place you can even write it off your taxes;).