What got you people into this hobby/business?

prada

For me, it was my brother. A few years back I visited him in Cali and saw his tank. What got my attention was a rose and a pair of maroons. I know pretty lame (nutty) but that's how it started (clap)

Here's my rose and percs. Please share how you got HOOKED DOH!

rose69.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually got hooked similar to you. I had a bad experience with my FW tank and got out of fish for a while. Saw a few SW tanks and really liked the amount of color and life. Stubbled into a fish store about a year later while wife was getting hair done and walked out with a Nano, sand, LR, and SW. Like you it was the clowns and the anemone that hooked me. That and I have always loved triggers. Still dont have one though. My goal is\was to get sharks.

Since I was about 13 I have kept freshwater fish and plants. I took a break for a few years and a few years ago set up a fully planted 55g. A buddy of mine at work had been talking about his reef tank, then offered up his old nano for a sweet price. He helped to get me hooked by bringin in corals once I was ready - mushrooms and sps mainly (I still have some of what he brought me - some nice acro that has gotten quite large). It just balooned from there....

Did you have anyone that helped you start out? I was lucky, my bro and a couple friends helped with the basic things. The biggest mistake for me was being impatient. I was such a big time noobie... wait, I still am LOL. I just owned myself.

believe it or not my girlfriend had a 10 gallon nano a million years ago before we got together and before the whole nano craze really took of. about 2 years ago she was talking about it and me thinking it was stupid started looking on liveaquaria then looking in stores. prob a month later i got a 5 gallon with a brakish puffer,he died so i turned it into a saltwater.

needles to say that lasted about a month then i got the 40b.....

bet she regreats ever introducing me to this crack habbit though(whistle)

Did you have anyone that helped you start out? I was lucky' date=' my bro and a couple friends helped with the basic things. The biggest mistake for me was being impatient. I was such a big time noobie... wait, I still am LOL. I just owned myself.[/quote']

My wife works for Animal house and they sell some salt stuff. The fish guy Darel is who got me into it and said it was only a little more that FW. He helped me get into it and learn some of what I was doing. Now I think I know more than him and I am starting to find alot of his advise is wrong. OOPS.

Jeff at the Aquarium In OC helped me when In needed facts. I owe him alot

My wife works for Animal house and they sell some salt stuff. The fish guy Darel is who got me into it and said it was only a little more that FW. He helped me get into it and learn some of what I was doing. Now I think I know more than him and I am starting to find alot of his advise is wrong. OOPS.

Jeff at the Aquarium In OC helped me when In needed facts. I owe him alot

It goes like that some time. Need I remind you of the "rock anemone" experience?

I had FW tanks ever since I was in grade school (I don't want to think about how many years that is!) and then switched over to salt water in about 91 with a fish only tank. I got hooked on reef tanks slowly as I became more aware of (and addicted to) the variety of life in these systems. Fortunately, my wife shares the same enthusiasm for reef critters! I actually had wanted to become a marine biologist out of college but didn't have all the prereqs for the only good grad program in that area - my reef tank is sort of making up for that (laugh)

i got hooked when i was looking for something to keep me busy while i was recovering from a kidney transplant. I have always had freshwater since I was a kid, so since i had time on my hands i did the saltwater tank. Worked out well i would and still do, spend hours looking in the tanks :)

I always wanted one ever since my friend back in college had a saltwater fowlr tank.

So after getting rid of my piranhas, I decided to set up a saltwater tank. After seeing all the pretty pictures of a reef tank online, I got hooked and decided corals are a must have in my new found hobby. Did a quick research and bought parts and rocks online.

I knew no one that was into this hobby, and the only place that I knew of that sold saltwater stuff was A to Z pet store. I was such a noob to corals, that I couldn't even tell the difference between aiptasia and zoas. The selection was horrible, and if it wasn't for an honest sales person, I would have walked away with a bag full of pests.

I'm glad I found this website that linked to all the other available reef stores.

I always wanted one ever since my friend back in college had a saltwater fowlr tank.

So after getting rid of my piranhas, I decided to set up a saltwater tank. After seeing all the pretty pictures of a reef tank online, I got hooked and decided corals are a must have in my new found hobby. Did a quick research and bought parts and rocks online.

I knew no one that was into this hobby, and the only place that I knew of that sold saltwater stuff was A to Z pet store. I was such a noob to corals, that I couldn't even tell the difference between aiptasia and zoas. The selection was horrible, and if it wasn't for an honest sales person, I would have walked away with a bag full of pests.

I'm glad I found this website that linked to all the other available reef stores.

Being in this hobby, you're gonna come across some people that just wants to make a quick buck and sell you whatever they can and sometimes you meet really chill people. I've been fortunate that I've met a few people on this site that has been extremely helpful and really cool to me.

I dated a guy my freshman year of college that had a big 125g reef tank. I was so fascinated by it, that I often woke up in the middle of the night to go stare at it. I especially liked the little hermits that just seemed to be everywhere. So I started reading about SW tanks, and stumbled across a photo of a bright orange fungia. I decided that someday I would have a tank, and someday I would have hermits and a fungia. It was a goal of mine for almost 5 years, so a year ago when I graduated I was given a 15.5g AIO cube as a present. Its been a downhill slide ever since.