Starfish Suggestions

Rick

I'm looking for a new starfish to replace the sand sifting star I removed (Moved to another FOWLR tank where it can't hurt much) last night after I caught it trying to eat an Astrea Snail. I also noticed that my snail population (already fairly small) has been slowly dwindling since I got it. I would like to replace it with a reef safe star that will leave the snails, etc. alone. I was looking at maybe the Blue & Pink Sea Star or one of the Linkia's (Orange maybe). Are these good choices? Any other suggestions?

My orange serpent star is over 5 years old, fun to watch, fun to feed. I have a small sand sifting star not like the one you posted I'll have to look up the name but its tame doesnt eat anything I want!. I was given a Harlyquin or ?? shrimp so I bought a chocolate chip star but the shrimp dissapeared before it ate it and the star fish has been around ever since, doesnt bother anything and has doubled in size. All the orange and blue starfish I have bought in the past have died.

I'd go with a serpent, there are many different kinds out there and they are easy to keep

After researching it a bit I came to the conclusion there is no way the smaller tank would support it for very long so I ended up swapping the Sand Sifting Star for a 6 leg Orange Linkia today with the LFS that I originally got it from a couple of weeks ago. There were a couple of Serpents but they didn't look that great to me. My instinct was that they were not in the best shape. I do already have one small serpent that was a LR hitchhiker but the most I see of it is when it sticks 4 legs out 4 different holes.

On a Funny Note: I thought it was just trying to eat the Astrea and then dropped it but while it was still floating in the bag at the LFS the Sifting Star spit the Astrea Shell back out into the bag.

Does the chocolate chip do alright with the reef? That would have been my first choice (or rather the first choice of my kids).

This one seems to, it has never bothered a coral. I do know I have alot of sponges deep in my rock structure so it may be able to survive on those as that is their natural food, worth a try should be easy to remove if you have a problem with one

This one seems to' date=' it has never bothered a coral. I do know I have alot of sponges deep in my rock structure so it may be able to survive on those as that is their natural food, worth a try should be easy to remove if you have a problem with one[/quote']

Will it survive in a 20 Gallon FOWLR with a couple of Cinnamon Clowns and a couple of Turbo Snails if I have to pull it out? If so I may give it a shot. My kids (2 out of 3 are actually adults) thought they were pretty cool. I think my wife liked them as well.

I couldn't tell you that, like all of the critters we keep they need food to survive. If they don't have a supply of preferred food I have read they turn to soft coral and snails,etc. In a FOWLR I cant see that there would be any food for them to survive. Read up on them, maybe a small one would find enough to thrive.

Thanks, It looks like they suggest a FO tank. Some mention 20 gallons, some 30 gallons. They also suggest feeding them meaty foods as well. I'll see how the Orange Linkia works out for now and keep the Chocolate Chip open as a possible option later.

My orange serpent star is over 5 years old, fun to watch, fun to feed. I have a small sand sifting star not like the one you posted I'll have to look up the name but its tame doesnt eat anything I want!. I was given a Harlyquin or ?? shrimp so I bought a chocolate chip star but the shrimp dissapeared before it ate it and the star fish has been around ever since, doesnt bother anything and has doubled in size. All the orange and blue starfish I have bought in the past have died.

I'd go with a serpent, there are many different kinds out there and they are easy to keep

+1 on the orange and blue ones dieing in time. Dont bother with them...they belong in the sea where they can thrive. I have a serpent star and a knobby star that have been around for years. Heres a cool pic of the serpent star. Im sure you have seen it as I posted it before but I think its cool so I will show it again...Love to show off my inverts.

Jay

attachment.php?attachmentid=4892&stc=1&d=1244909878

Here is a pic of one like I have that I bought from Seahorse way back when. Still alive and growing.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+2870&pcatid=2870

post-199-141867745446_thumb.jpg