(Stores pleases read) What wrasses are good for monti eating nudi's

snowpunk

I'm not for sure I have them but I saw a little recession on 2 different pieces and I want to be on the safe side. I saw a little patch of whit e rice looking things on the bottom side which I think could be some eggs. Thinking maybe some people could post some pics and names of the wrasse you know will eat these guys. I wouldn't be against getting two if they would get along just to nip it in the but fast if thats what it really is.

If any of you stores have a wrasse that you know is a for sure killer of these pests and is a good addition to a reef with a mandarin, Kole tang, cardinal, and a blenny please let me know what you have through PM with a price. It would be a double bonus if it ate bristle worms too but I don't know if there is even a wrasse that does that at all.

Thanks for the help... I am not for sure I have them but I have too many monti's to just let it play out...

A wrasse is only going to keep their numbers down, it will not eradicate them and you will still lose corals albeit slower than without the fish. Your only hope to eliminate them is a QT tank and dips.

Been thru these guys its not fun. Good luck.

I have potassium permanganate if you want to try that. Eric Borneman has reported it as a way to kill nudis and their eggs.

dsoz

I was reading about that stuff but the person who used it must have used too much because it ended up slowly killing his corals also. I would be interested in the article for proper dosing of it if you have one... I don't know when I will be that way but I may be able to get over there sometime over the weekend.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php

I used 0.050 g in 1 L of water. If you want, I can use a scale at school to measure out the right amount. It ends up being about the same size as 10-20 grains of salt. Dissolve it in a liter bottle of tank water, and dip corals for about 20 minutes. Rinse with a dip into a container of tank water. It stains the corals brown for about a week, but they color up nicely once all the nudis are gone. :)

I had mixed results. I have saved some colonies, and lost others. I figure that I am about 80% success with it. I would repeat the procedure every other week for two months.

This is how I finally killed all the nudibranchs in my tank.

A friend gave me a 10lb bucket of the stuff. It is used in water purification, and he had some left over from his farming days. 10 lbs is probably enough to treat every reef tank in this country!

dsoz

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php

I used 0.050 g in 1 L of water. If you want, I can use a scale at school to measure out the right amount. It ends up being about the same size as 10-20 grains of salt. Dissolve it in a liter bottle of tank water, and dip corals for about 20 minutes. Rinse with a dip into a container of tank water. It stains the corals brown for about a week, but they color up nicely once all the nudis are gone. :)

I had mixed results. I have saved some colonies, and lost others. I figure that I am about 80% success with it. I would repeat the procedure every other week for two months.

This is how I finally killed all the nudibranchs in my tank.

A friend gave me a 10lb bucket of the stuff. It is used in water purification, and he had some left over from his farming days. 10 lbs is probably enough to treat every reef tank in this country!

dsoz

wow, that is a lot. When you say 80% success, do you mean with the coral living through it or with killing the nudi?(scary) Most of mine are ones I really would like to keep if I can because they would cost me a lot to replace.(tyree true undata, rainbow, big pokerstar, LE supernova, seasons greetings, purple haze... )those are the better ones at least...

By 80% success, I mean that all the montipora that I treated out of my tank, except one, survived, and all the nudibranchs died. I am not sure which treatment finally got rid of them, but I battled them for nearly 9 months before I figured out the every other week dip.

When I got my second tank set up for the anemones, another guy had the nudibranchs. He brought over his montis for me to help treat, and then he left them in my tank for QT. 4 out of 5 of them did not survive the treatment/quarantine/newly set up tank. I am thankful that the other guy forgave me for having his corals all die off in my tank. It was sad to watch them all fade away. :(

dsoz

By 80% success, I mean that all the montipora that I treated out of my tank, except one, survived, and all the nudibranchs died. I am not sure which treatment finally got rid of them, but I battled them for nearly 9 months before I figured out the every other week dip.

When I got my second tank set up for the anemones, another guy had the nudibranchs. He brought over his montis for me to help treat, and then he left them in my tank for QT. 4 out of 5 of them did not survive the treatment/quarantine/newly set up tank. I am thankful that the other guy forgave me for having his corals all die off in my tank. It was sad to watch them all fade away. :(

dsoz

all this monti death is giving me the hebejebezee! My monti's are like my children, they just can't die!!!(scary) I will have to make some time to swing by and take 1/1000 of your stock(or less)(laugh)

I'll try to get some measured out tomorrow on my prep period. Send me a PM so I see it tomorrow and get reminded. I'll measure out 5-6 treatments for you.

dsoz

that would be great dennis thanks. I'll try to make it out this weekend at some point if I can. Sending reminder PM now!(clap)

I also used the KMnO4 to treat the monti eating nudis. In my case I did not lose a single coral to the dip, but it also did not kill all the nudis. I did 4 or 5 consecutive weekly dips and they just kept on going.

In the end i had to toss out all my montis. It was tough. I kept a pencil tip sized piece of superman monti, it had 3 polyps, and about 1/8" of a purple digi. They are both thriving now though :D