Can Anyone identify this?

jptrson

Can anyone tell me what this is? My tanks has been set up for over 2 years and this is the first I have seen this guy. I just happen to turn on the lights around midnight and he was up be hind my overflow. It was about 6" long and 1"+ wide about 1/4 inch thick. I took several pictures, but with a dark tank this was the best. It almost looks like a bristleworm, but I have never seen one this color or size... Also I have seen no damage to coral or polyps.

HPIM0797.jpg

Better pics

After looking at the pic again' date=' it doesn't look like a normal bristle worm.... any chance you can get a picture of the whole thing, or at least the head? slim chance that it may be a "fire worm"[/quote']

A caught him tonight, he was in the overflow. These are some better pictures, as it's crawling he's about 7-8" long. I put him my algae tank for now. I hate to kill anything if I don't need to, but if he is indeed a "mega- brisstle or fire" I guess I have no choice. :eek:

From the top

worm.jpg

From the bottom

wormbottom.jpg

Head shot.

head.jpg

IF you make it over this way' date=' or if anybody's going to redmond any time soon... I want it[/quote']

worm1.jpg

wormx.jpg

what do you want them for??

I keep them as pets in my sump. Unfortunately this guy somehow figured out how to get into the intake of my mag 24..........he is now about 8 REALLY fat short worms.

also, FWIW, there are only a couple of "fireworm " specimens that actually harm any corals and that one pictured above in this post isnt one of them, all of them however, like all bristleworms, just arent a good idea to pick up with bare hands

IF you make it over this way' date=' or if anybody's going to redmond any time soon... I want it[/quote']

My wife is heading to Salem a week from Friday, If thats close enough for ya we can work something out. As for anything be moved around, just my Xenia gets knocked over from my urchin. I do however have a pile of snail shells in the back corner, the only thing that I can't seem to keep.

PM me if you want to make pick up arrangements.

John